Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mists of Pandaria Release Date and Preparation

Finally!  After months of waiting on the edge of our seats, we've finally got a release date for Mists of Pandaria:  September 25th.  I had know for a while now that my earlier prediction of September 4th was going to be wrong, but it had remained to be seen whether we'd even get a September release date at all, or be pushed back into October.  Thankfully, Blizzard squeezed right in at their usual two month mark, and now we can all stop wondering.

First thing's first.  I was wrong, so I owe you guys a haiku:

Off by just three weeks.
Soon pandas will be bouncing.
Let's make lots of gold.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's get into my steps to prepare for MoP.

First of all, I'm going to completely stop restocking anything based on Cataclysm endgame gear.  This includes the various Vicious PvP gear, Cataclysm-level enchants and gems, etc.  Slowing down on these up to this point hadn't really been an issue, since my restock quantities for gear and enchants were already at 3.  But I feel now is the time to stop entirely.

There's a strange phenomenon that surround a release date announcement.  People have always known, in theory, that MoP was coming Soon, and that when it does, their gear is going to be replaced by questing greens.  Until they have a release date, though, that fact is just sort of sitting in the back of their mind and not readily acknowledged.  Once a release date is announced, though, that realization comes to the fore.

At that point, people may still run raids, both for gear and because, honestly, there's not a whole lot else for the average player to do in-game right now.  Where they'll start to draw the line, however, is at actually spending gold on gear and gear-related expenses.  To that end, the last thing I want to do is invest heavily in restocking those items, especially when they're likely to be worthless come MoP.  If I actually happen to sell through what I've got right now, that would make me ecstatic.

I'm also going to be trying to unload any Heavenly Shards or Maelstrom Crystals while I still can.  With the new expansion, Cataclysm-level enchanting mats will likely only be used for skilling up.  Hypnotic Dust and Celestial Essences should retain their value, and even go up in price as existing supplies run out and no one's running that content for gear to DE.  Take a look at a popular enchanting guide, though, and keep in mind that anything after 500 will be doable with MoP mats.  The only thing Heavenly Shards would be used for is the enchanting rod, and it looks like Blizzard's taking those out of the game.  The result?  Heavenly shard prices will likely plummet.

Next on the priority list is my preparation for the upcoming glyph changes.  I've finally finished learning all of the Book of Glyph Mastery glyphs, and should be done with the research ones in time for the patch.  The actual acquisition of ink and making of glyphs is coming right along, too, and is really limited only by how many herbs I can find below my price threshold each day.  Currently, I'm down to only needing Ink of the Sea.  This sounds more impressive than it is, though, since that still leaves about a third of the glyphs in the game.

Aside from that, I'd like to reach 85 on the four non-85 alts I have left, my Death Knight (58), Paladin (56), Hunter (55), and Priest (38).  If I can actually manage to get them to max level, or at least to 80, then I may in a position to shuffle my professions around, eventually ending up with each character having alchemy + other profession.  Time will tell, though, if there's enough time before MoP.

No comments:

Post a Comment