Monday, May 28, 2012

The Importance of Organization

If you've been making gold for any length of time, you usually have things you do every day to make gold.  If you're ambitious, you likely have long-term goals to make gold as well, like get this alt to 85 or level that profession on them (unless you're like Jim Younkin from Power Word Gold and have 10 85s already).  Sometimes all of the things on your plate can get confusing, and it's easy to lose track of whether or not you've done all of your daily steps or which long-term goal you're working on.  My suggestion is simple, but you'd be amazed how well it works:  a to-do list.

Like most of my lists, it's very basic, just a Notepad document on my desktop.  It gets opened at the beginning of every day, and things are erased from the list as they're finished.  I separate my daily tasks from my long-term ones, and rank each item in order of importance.  Your list will obviously vary based on what you're doing, but to give you an idea, I'll share mine and give you a summary of each, along with a rationale for its place in the list.

Daily tasks:

1.  Cancel/post - This one actually happens multiple times a day for me, and thus it's no surprise it's at the top of the list.  I'll run a cancel scan in TSM to take down what's been undercut, then repost it.  Your mileage will definitely vary on this one, though.  How often you'll want to do this, or even whether you want to do it at all, will depend quite a bit on the markets you're in.  Things like gems and glyphs are fierce markets and will see tons of undercutting, while things like pets, transmog, world drops, etc. tend to be alright if just left alone.  I'll cover what I like to call "fast food markets vs. crockpot markets" in a later post.

2.  Inscription research - This one's also fairly simple.  If you're in the glyph market and you still have glyphs you need to learn, be sure to do your Northrend Inscription Research and your Minor Inscription research each day.  This is also the time I take a look on the AH for a Book of Glyph Mastery or two.  It's important to do this before the next step unless you want to spend some extra time.

3.  Crafting queues  - The next thing on the list is setting up my TSM crafting queues for each profession except jewelcrafting (which I do a little differently) and tailoring (I tend to struggle to make a profit at the current cloth prices).  Generally, I'll queue up crafts for one profession, then hop over to my banker and do all the shopping, then move on to the next profession.  This takes a little longer than doing one big shopping trip for all the professions, but I find it makes it much easier to keep the mats that are shared between professions (like volatiles) straight.  Once everything's been crafted, I generally do another cancel scan before I post, so I don't end up undercutting myself or anything.

4.  Do Alchemy cooldown - This is another fairly obvious one, and you can read more about it in my previous blog post.

5.  Do Jewelcrafting daily - Either you should be collecting all the tokens you can for more cuts, or you should be trading them in for Chimera's Eyes for a quick buck.

6.  Cataclysm greens scan - If you haven't seen the posts at Power Word Gold about flipping level 77-80 Cataclysm greens, give it a look.  It's a nice little side project with little investment and little time spent.

7.  Molten Front dailies on blacksmith/engineer - I really, really don't like this one, but if I can get my hands on the pattern for Flintlocke's Woodchucker, I may end up the only one on my server selling them.

8.  Check gem balance, shuffle if low - Pretty self-explanatory.  I'll check and see if I have under 5 of  any cut of inferno ruby or shadowspirit diamond up.  If that stock is low, I'll grab some cheap ore (off the Alliance side if necessary) and prospect.

9.  Vendor Pet Roundup - See my previous posts about this.

Having your daily tasks in the right order is crucial.  The lower on the list something is, the more you're okay with that not getting done if it's a busy day.  And when you have extra time, that's when the long-term goals get some attention.

Long-term goals:

1.  Level leatherworker/max leatherworking - This would give me another market to enter, and getting the toon to 85 would let me start doing the Molten Front dailies there (ugh) and get the bag patterns, as I never see them up on my server.

2.  Skill up another alchemist - I have a character with a profession slot free right now, and another alchemist would mean a nice second cooldown.

3.  Get Vial of the Sands recipe - Archaeology's another rather painful grind, but the price of this mount is only likely to go up with Mists of Pandaria.

4.  Finish leveling enchanter/scribe - This is one of my main crafting toons, and I'm embarrassed to say she's still level 75.  That will need to change before MoP.

That's essentially my list.  A little organization goes a long way.  Do you have a to-do list?  Anything special on it?  Let me know in the comments, and until next time, good night and good gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment